Thursday, August 26, 2010

Katrina Reflections

It’s difficult to sort out my thoughts about Katrina. I didn’t live in New Orleans in 2005, but I live here now because of Katrina. While I wouldn’t wish Katrina on anyone, anywhere, she changed my life forever and I wouldn’t trade that. So I can’t say I’m grateful for Katrina, because that just wouldn’t be right, but I am grateful for the doors that were opened for me. I’m grateful for finding the courage to walk (or run) through them, and to those who helped me. Instead of slogging away in Silicon Valley designing meaningless products to make others rich, I am now working in education and finally creating again, after 25 years of doing (and sitting in traffic jams). I feel like I’ve lived 25 years in the past 5 years.

I'm grateful to so many I have met and have become friends with over the past five years:

• Peg and Bill, who hired me into the Cisco 21S program that brought me to New Orleans to live and gave me the opportunity to do meaningful work
• All of the folks at Jefferson Parish Public Schools who believed that I had something to contribute, even though I am not a lifelong educator: Diane, Mable, Betsy, Sharon, Jules, Frank, Cathy, Shirley, Richard, Beth, Ruth, all of the TIS, Colleen, Freddi, Pat, Liz, the 21S principals, and so many others…
• My fellow Fellows, and Sudha honorary Fellow, who welcomed me and shared such a wacky experience
• Ronnie Slone for all of his support
• So many great “community partners” I have worked with to create exciting new programs for kids. Thanks for having an open mind! Kate, Ellen, Ami, Patricia, Charles, Gaynell, Brittany, Jen, Kenneth, Laura, Angie, Monica, Brenda, Tricia…
• Many great neighbors who have been welcoming and friendly – Stephanie who is always cheerful, Jim and Mary Ann who fixed our house, Gayle and Mike for continuing to invite us to Mardi Gras parties even though we moved from the block, Bill and Adrienne, Carolyn, Keith, Douglas, new neighbors Debbie and Lisa, and all of the others who I don’t really know but they smile and say hi
• Michael Kelly, my massage guy, who is the only person who can fix my neck and he’s super nice too
• Rex for creating NOLA Rising, promoting New Orleans, street art, and for bringing people together
• Martin Lill for creating Hands In Clay, where I’ve enjoyed making a mess for two years
• Laura Mitchell at NOAFA who is patiently teaching me how to paint in watercolor
• Brian Denzer for working so hard to try to keep people honest and improve this city
• Jon Kardon for being fun to work with under pressure, and for being a great supporter of New Orleans music
• Julius Evans for helping me tell the JPPSS story
• Jane Metcalf and Charlotte Fruge
• Margie Perez – I’ll always remember that you told me how much New Orleans changed your life
• The homeless guy on Magazine with long dreadlocks who always blesses me but doesn’t ask for anything in return
• Mitch Landrieu, who actually I haven’t met, but THANK YOU! I’m very grateful!

And for so many great places, experiences, attitudes, and a way of doing things that is a little different from anywhere else:

• A whole new vocabulary and way of pronouncing words
• A city where people are out and participating
• Passionate people with so many stories and time to tell them
• Volunteers from around the world who came to help and embraced the city
• All of the artists in New Orleans
• All of the great musicians in New Orleans – way too many to list. There isn’t any place like it in the world!
• Sousaphones, washboards, trumpets, trombones, fiddles, snare drums, marching bands
• WWOZ
• Frenchmen St
• Magazine St and all of the independent shops, restaurants, bars, and other funky places
• To go drinks
• Lots of streets in the French Quarter, other than Bourbon Street
• Mule carriages
• Slim Goodies, Juan’s Flying Burrito, Maya’s, Columns, Bacchanal, La Davina, Café Reconcile, Café Roux, Spotted Cat, Balcony Bar, and all of the restaurants and bars with outdoor outside seating!
• Audubon Park, City Park, and Barataria Preserve
• Mississippi River
• Herons, egrets, ibi, anhingas, pelicans, the tip toeing duck, lizards, alligators, strange bugs I’ve never seen before
• The Ogden, NOMA, LSM, Degas House, Ashe
• Make It Right
• Musician’s Village
• The Saints
• Unique neighborhoods, architecture, cemeteries, iron fences, fleur de lies, oak trees
• A city that would rather keep giant oaks than have straight sidewalks
• Street cars
• Krewe of St Anne, Barkus, Super Sunday parades, Second Line parades, and all parades that include brass, throws, cabbage, and dancing
• Mardi Gras Indians
• Roller Girls
• Bob Breck and Margaret Orr – even watching the weather report is entertaining here
• Art markets, art walks, and Art for Art’s Sake
• Pack Rat Shipping
• NOLA Pet Care and The Cat Practice
• Jazz Fest and all of the fests – way too many to mention
• Dogs and places that are happy to have them visit – I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many dogs in a city

Thanks to Leisa, Frida, Eddie, and O.C. for sharing the journey!

No comments: